Sure, I got a "Dad Rocks" sign from Brinna this morning, but there's no doubt my time is passing.
I took Tim and Ben to play hockey at Groveland today. Ben was unhappy with the rough surface; I couldn't play the way he wanted. I thought he'd quit, but he had a better idea. He left me to hang with Tim. Tim showed him how to pass and shoot. They played a good thirty minutes on a cold day, until Ben was tired. (Tim was good for hours more, but left with us anyway.)
I was proud of my guys -- but still. I wanted to play with Ben! I got to practice solo instead.
Same story tonight.
I knew there'd be a storm when I made the long neglected "family" iTouch [1] Ben's personal device. He was ready to start managing his own calendar, and he's the only kid without an iPod (Brinna has my old Nano). Sure enough, Brinna was furious when Ben told here "the good news" (thanks, Ben). [2]
It was Tim that sat with her, and "gave" her his iPhone. He'd use a regular phone he said, Brinna could have the iPhone. That did the trick, Brinna was happy again. Of course she gave it back to Tim after a half hour, she knows how to do these things.
Tim solves all the family problems. I have been replaced.
[1] Actually a first generation iPhone injured by a swim; it was a gift from Christina. The audio is gone and it's a bit flaky.
[2] Of course I didn't mention the "older" defense. That would be suicidal. I pointed out that she'd completely neglected the device for the months it was a "family" iPod, that she'd had an iPod for a year while Ben had nothing, and that there were no fun games on it.